Heard the news about a Methodist split and want some clarity?
General Conference is the official policy making and vision discerning body of the United Methodist Church.
- Representatives, half clergy and half laity, from every region of the globe that contains a United Methodist Church come together every 4 years to revise the Book of Discipline and set the direction for the church. The 2016 meeting was May 10-20, in Portland, Oregon.
- Just over half of the delegates come from the United States.
- General Conference is the only body that can officially speak for the United Methodist Church.
- There was a special called General Conference February 23-26, 2019, in St. Louis, Missouri, to deal with the specific topic of human sexuality.
- Major issues revolve around same-sex marriages and ordination of those in same-sex relationships.
- The next regular General Conference is currently scheduled for May 5-15, 2020, in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Go to www.vaumc.org/gc2020 for resources and up to date information.